A sporting event will usually have a large number of people assembled in a relatively confined space. Numbers of people can range from the scores to the many thousands. This sense of confinement can become problematic at times, especially if alcohol or other substances are involved, not to mention the passion that sports often evoke in fans! Sporting events can get unruly sometimes. America is lucky that to date it has not suffered the type of riots and violence witnessed at soccer matches in Europe, Africa and Latin America, for example. That doesn’t mean the U.S. is immune from sports violence. CBS Sports reported how on the same day in September 2014 fans threw punches at each other at a 49ers-Cardinals game in Glendale, Ariz., whilst even more violence took place at another NFL fixture, this time the Redskins-Eagles game in Philadelphia. Pregame and postgame fights can also turn ugly. And there is always the risk of pickpockets amongst the fans and thieves in the parking lots. Sports events need security management – period.
OSP can step in and offer a sporting event / venue the following security solutions:
- pre-sports event planning and security assessments
- principal or secondary security detail for athletes, team personnel, etc.
- liaison with sporting venue planners, stadium / location management, etc.
- access control and verification of sports fans
- liaison with relevant contractors for the stadium or sports venue
- emergency and evacuation planning
- assessment of all means of egress from the stadium / sports venue
- liaison with sport facility management, law enforcement, emergency management, fire/HazMat and emergency medical services
- patrolling parking lots and areas
- PA system assessment for viability, sound checking, etc.
- active crowd control, if needed
- passive crowd control
- monitoring and GPS imaging with OSP’s mobile Command Center
- uniformed bike patrols for large sporting events where quick response time is imperative
A sporting event should be fun for all and should never succumb to security breaches, or, worse still, descend into fighting and carnage. Sports events should be able to unfold in a way that is predictable and controlled from a security standpoint. That is why security management is so critical at these events.
OSP’s commitment to any sporting event or venue is that we will provide our esteemed clients with security solutions that are customized to suit the exact needs of the sport and the venue. The safety and security of a sports event, including the athletes, all personnel and attending fans, is our objective. It is what we do – and we do so with utmost pride and conviction.